How to ACCEPT all of Your Self: Part 3 of 6
What does it truly mean to be a human being of spirit, fully integrated and conscious in mind, body and soul.
Take a minute and sit back in a chair. Close your eyes and imagine yourself leaving your body and floating above it as you look down on your body. You will quickly see that your mind can easily identify that you have a body.
Next, imagine yourself removed one step further as you examine what your mind is thinking and how your body feels.
Now ask, what part of yourself can observe your mind and your body in this way?
This is your soul bearing witness to your body and your mind. This ability to see and examine your thoughts and feelings objectively is your connection with your witness.
Now let’s go deeper and connect with the Witness of your witness.
Once again, close your eyes and connect with your soul / witness. Notice that if you remove yourself one step further still, you can connect with a part of yourself that can witness your body and its feelings, as well as witness your mind and its thoughts and at the same time witness the essence of your soul as it examines and questions your mind’s thoughts and body’s feelings. The ability to witness yourself this deeply is a connection to your Witness of your witness, your Spirit or your Self.
When fully connected to your Spirit’s intention you can ask this daring question:
Do you always bring forth an integrated mind, body and soul in every way of your being or not?
When we live from our Spirit (Self) in a consciously integrated connection with our mind, body and soul we are able to practice the movement towards an integrated life journey. In opening completely to our individual Spirit, we naturally flow deeper and open completely to all that is greater than us, be that Love, God, Universe, Source, Universal Wisdom, Consciousness, Enlightenment, Truth, Universal Spirit, Nirvana, Purpose, Joy, etc.
I know this is a lot to take in as it is a deep merging of philosophical, theological, psychological and mystical thinking to mention a few. To simplify think of your Spirit as the life cycle of a butterfly from the egg to the caterpillar, to the pupa, to the butterfly. Imagine this journey in a holistic way (see diagram 1).
Imagine your body (without mind) as having only the capability of the motionless egg. As a body you have breath, but without a mind to will your knowledge or wisdom you have no movement. The egg will birth itself into living in the form of a caterpillar giving motion to the body. In human beings, this birthing of our minds gives movement to our human form in our ability to bring actions to the world through our minds. In this stage as a human being, we have formed a connection with our minds and our bodies.
This is Step 1 of conscious connection when you realize through your minds awareness that you are more than just your body. But our journey of connection in this life does not stop here as we are also made up of soul and Spirit. (See diagram 2)
Once connected in mind and body as a human being, we have the option to access our internal being by going within. By going within, we learn to know our internal narrative, beliefs and our unconscious. Here we can connect with our individual soul and open to our individual uniqueness separate from others, just as the caterpillar goes within and encloses itself in its pupa.
This is Step 2 of conscious connection when you realize that in the essence of your being that you are more than just your body and your mind. You are indeed soul as well.
Once integrated as a human being in mind, body and soul, we can journey towards a connection with our Spirit and emerge as the butterfly does, ready for full flight. Connected with our individual Spirit we can complete the full life cycle of Self and bring conscious movement into the world, every moment and in every way of our being. When we connect with our individual Spirit, we find meaning in life. (See diagram 3)
This is Step 3 of conscious connection when you realize that in your humanness you are more than just your body, your mind and your soul. When connected this deeply it becomes apparent that the intention of the Spirit of Your Humanness brings movement in the world through your mind, body and soul in all of your ways of being, as a human being.
When fully connected to your Spirit’s intention you can ask the next daring question:
Do you always bring forth an intention of kindness / love in every way of your being or not?
We can then go even deeper and connect with Universal Spirit, Universal Wisdom, God, Peace etc. Here we fly in Harmony with all other butterflies no matter their origin or the color of their wings. When we connect with Universal Spirit, we open to life’s Purpose as we journey with an Enlightened way of fully Becoming as a human being with all of our beliefs, thoughts, behaviors and spoken words.
This is Step 4, your final step of conscious connection as you realize that your individual Spirit of Love is combined with Universal Spirit , God, Love etc. Here you awaken to the fact that you are indeed more than just your individual body, your individual mind, your individual soul or your individual Spirit.
When fully connected we bring Consciousness to our journey as a human being. When choosing to move in the world from this space of love for self, others and all things we develop a way of being in the world that connects us to everything greater than ourselves. This is how we live in Flow, for this is the miracle of Purpose for each of us to journey towards. (see diagram 4) Note: All of the words in the final connection are free floating and have no fixed position in diagram 4.
This is a lot to take in and you need to remember you are only in the middle of Step 2 of developing a conscious connection in your Dare to Ask Journey. This is why it’s a good time for reflection on the movement you have made towards becoming an integrated and awakened human being.
Remember in exercise 1 to 6 you acknowledged your story and in exercise 7 and 8 you started to develop a relationship with your witness to your story and your way of being in the world.
In Exercise 9 you will reflect on all of the work you have undertaken in your journey so far so that you can assess and celebrate any movement that you have made so far towards your intended change.
Exercise 9 – Opening up to the Acceptance of all that is Known to you so far in your Journey
Intended outcome of this exercise:
- To open to and accept where you are right now in your journey.
- To witness your ability to shift your self-judgements.
- To remind yourself of your intended change.
Over the next 2 weeks undertake the exercise below. Download your journal pages for exercise 9 here.
A journey of self-reflection
If you have completed exercises 1 to 8 successfully then you are ready for this next exercise. Take out your journal and undertake the following:
- Consider each of the topics that you have dealt with to date, CHANGE, SUFFERING, FORGIVENESS and PAIN.
- Write one sentence or paragraph about what each of these topics means for you.
- Now carefully re-read all of your journal notes to-date. Take care to read your notes without self-judgement and then ask yourself the following daring questions.
- How do you feel about the journey you have recorded so far?
- Are you opening to any shifts / movement?
- Have you managed to become more aware of your thoughts, feelings and felt senses?
- Make bold (colorful) notes on your same journal pages:
- If any questions or conflict or triggers becomes apparent in what you have recorded to-date.
- If you have any new ideas, thoughts, memories that present for you on the same topics.
- If you feel differently about any part of your story as recorded to date in your journal pages.
- Can you accept that in reflecting on your choices, your suffering and your relationship with true forgiveness, that each of these are a story from the past or the present, which can teach you about your ways of being in the world? (Reminder: By seeing and accepting your individual ways of being you can bring awareness to seeing and accepting how they impact you and your movement towards your desired change. This is how you create the space between stimulus and response, in order to access the power of your choice in order to grow and open to your individual freedom. In this growth and freedom you can serve your present moment for a more joyful future.)
- Can you accept that the pain attached to your story can be a temporary moment in time and that you can open to letting go of that pain?
- Are you making progress with your intended change as recorded in exercise 2?
- Are you possibly stuck or getting in the way of yourself and your intended change thereby not making sufficient movement?
Are you ready to go deeper and recommit to your intended change?
- Are you ready to invite practices into your life that serve your journey towards leading a life of joy?
- When re-reading your pages make a conscious choice to stay in the curious mind with questions and release yourself from any attachments to trying to define your story.
- Use different color pens and add notes on the same journal pages for things that might have changed for you. Celebrate them.
- Note if you are possibly too attached to the story and are still resistant to change / movement.
Deepening your awareness practices with your thoughts, your feelings and your felt senses.
- Continue with your meditation practice from exercise 7, in bringing awareness to your current thoughts.
- Continue with your self-awareness / self-observation practice from exercise 7 with your feelings.
- Continue with your awareness practices with your felt senses from exercise 8.
- Remember to undertake all three of these practices at least 5 times every week if you are unable to do them 7 days each week.
For those of you who are working with a friend or a group, this is a good time to catch up and share what you have learned about yourself. Click here for how to go about this sharing with the group.
For those of you working on your own, this is a good time to share with yourself what you have learned about yourself, through external verbal expression. Click here for how to go about this sharing with yourself.
Now celebrate your current movement and ask of yourself to bring only a curious mind to each day, so that you can remain aware that it is possible to generate movement towards your desired change, as you move closer to your connection with your Self. In the interim have fun until we meet again in a few weeks for exercise 10, which will deal with the acceptance of all that is unknown.
In the interim, if you have questions about deepening your awareness and developing the art of witnessing yourself for the purpose of acceptance, either submit your question in the comments section below or in a private note to me here (link). Likewise, if you have a story you would like to share about acceptance or not – of where you are at, then please do so on the same links above.
I love you all for your courage.
As always, warm love and regards
Perfectly Imperfect Author and Speaker, Spiritual Revolutionary and Warrior of Self